An open source and distributed operating system for the internet of impact.
Developed by an international collective of software developers, data scientists, and sustainability experts.
Imagine a world where you know exactly what you are buying. How many hours of child labour? How many tonnes of CO2? How many rare earth minerals mined in unethical conditions?
To know the exact, real-time social and environmental impacts of our choices, we need a new way to collect, store, and access the data related to the products and services we take for granted.
Instans aims to revolutionise the way we access and use information about our lifestyles. Giving us the ability to not only evaluate the true cost of product choices, but to understand our own “impact budget”.
Breaking free from centralised corporate control (and misaligned intentions) instans utilises next generation distributed data protocols, where everyone contributes and everyone is accountable.
This is the future of the internet - the internet of impact.
To make more responsible decisions, we need up-to-date information about our impact on society and the planet.
- This requires fast and uncomplicated ways to calculate impact across the whole supply chain of a product - or investment portfolio – such as the carbon footprint*, labour conditions, effects on bio-diversity, and so on.
- Yet impact data are still laborious and costly to pull together because they are typically fragmented, duplicated, and inconsistent.
- We want to enable a paradigm shift, away from the post-hoc aggregation of impact data, towards real-time consumer level support for sustainability based decision-making. Putting the power of live impact data in people's hands at the critical point of choice.
- * It can take companies up to 3 years or more to calculate the total carbon footprint across an entire supply chain (Scope 3 CO2 emissions) as per the reporting requirements of the Green House Gas (GHG) Protocol.
Provide search and computation of real-time impact data that is affordable and trustworthy.
- Ensure a generic and resilient technology stack by using next generation web protocols.
- Empower people to have full ownership, control, access, and possession of their data.
- Scale efficiently, organically, and decentralised.
- Amplify existing software products without suppressing them, including compatibility with distributed ledger technologies (DLT).
- Support existing end-user workflows wherever possible, so that people are free to use the software of their choice.
- Governance as an open source / public commons initiative.
- Linked Data by the W3C and new SOLID data pod protocols developed by Sir Tim Berners-Lee (SOLID stands for SOcially LInked Data).
An distributed operating system for hosting and managing impact data pods.
- Simple and intuitive user interface (UI).
- Federated search engine for distributed data.
- Application programming interface (API).
- Software development kit (SDK) and app store.
- Expanding the capabilities of SOLID data pods.
External data connectors allow third party applications to work with distributed data sets as if they are an integrated database.
New business models
Using instans data pods makes it more easy to separate data storage from cloud software. This creates three different and complementary markets by design.
Choose the level of data security and privacy that suits your needs.
Easily switch cloud software providers because they only ever connect to your data and therefore cannot lock in your data.
Have more control over whether you share your data for free or charge others to access it.
Proof of concept
Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
Functional in operating environment
Enterprise early adopters
Ready for deployment
Mature enterprise grade
Full scalability and financial sustainability
Validating claims of impact, investigative journalism and fact checking
Real-time sustainability data
Product passports for a circular economy
Impact wallets - data as capital
instans has been funded and supported by
For more information firstname.lastname@example.org
instans © 2020